Green initiatives and sustainability should be among the top concerns for our businesses. Implementing green practices is beneficial for your operation as it helps to reduce operating costs. One cost-efficient and effective practice is to operate your business from a shared office space.
Shared office spaces are growing in popularity with businesses of all sizes. A shared office solution allows you to reduce your energy usage. Compared to a traditional office environment, the eco-friendly advantages of a shared office coworking space at iQ Office Suites include:
- Shared resources such as common areas and boardrooms mean your energy usage is significantly less, thereby helping you to reduce your business’ carbon footprint.
- Most of our offices are on or near windows, allowing you to rely upon natural sunlight to illuminate your work area, rather than having to use overhead or desk lights.
- Motion activated lights throughout our space ensures lights are not left on in spaces which are not in use.
- Scents in iQ facilities are generated by infusing naturally occurring oils avoiding the use of harsh chemicals.
- Natural building elements such as exposed brick and concrete walls are retained in place of further construction materials which draw more from the environment.
- Collaborate with others in your shared work environment to develop new eco-friendly business practices that benefit everyone.
Tips for Making Your Shared Office Space Greener
In addition to the eco-friendly advantages gained with a shared office solution, there are specific things you can do to help make the space greener.
- Turn off and unplug any electronic device you are not currently using.Simply turning off your device is not enough because a device that is plugged in will still draw a small amount of energy.
- Get in the habit of shutting off surge protectors at the end of your work day. The lights on surge protectors use electricity, not to mention power still flows through to the plugs even when nothing is plugged in.
- Bring in a green plant or two to put on your desk. Liven up your work space with green plants, like bamboo, but avoid flowering plants, as others can be allergic.
- Pack snacks and lunches using food you obtained from local farmers’ markets. Buying from local farmers not only helps support them, but also helps the environment because it means the food did not have to be shipped in, thereby reducing fuel costs and carbon footprints.
- Try going “organic” and choosing beverages and foods produced using natural processes. Organic foods use greener production methods and are healthier for both you and the environment.
- Rely upon public transport or biking for your commute to work. You can further reduce your carbon footprint, not to mention avoid potential parking fees.
Shared offices, and the implementation of green practices are the ideal way to reduce your business’ operating costs, as well as your carbon footprint. For more information about shared office and coworking spaces in Toronto, feel free to contact iQ Offices today at 416.238.1111.